Saturday 7 July 2012

Auld Lang Syne

Auld lang syne apparently is Scott for it's been a long time since, and it's been a long time since I went on vacation. If I could, I probably would go to Nantucket Island, Massachusetts. It's been my pet obsession lately and it all started out with this:


It's a little cottage in Siasconset, Nantucket (Sconset for short) and it's called Auld Lang Syne. I came across it looking for some information on the song and this showed up. Funny thing is, I'd already seen this house from the inside... well, sort of. I'd seen it's floor plan in the Library of Congress site when I was looking for examples of early colonial houses. Apparently, it's one of the oldest houses on the island, built in 1675, and the oldest on the Siasconset Bank. You can see it here:  http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/hh/item/ma0323/.
Anyway, it looked familiar so I looked at the pictures... and then I looked at some more pictures of the village and I was hooked. I'd heard of Nantucket (there's that limerick and I read Moby Dick) and I knew it was a famous vacation spot for the americans, but never bothered checking it out. Needless to say I had never heard of Sconset and now I wish I had one of those cute little fishing cottages there! Here's some more of Sconset:



 So here's a dream: to have a beach cottage in Sconset, Nantucket, covered in climbing roses and with a great view to the ocean. What do you think?
And since I'm in a coastal mood, here's LegiĆ£o Urbana - Vento no Litoral. It was a great band. Shame that it had to end...




No comments:

Post a Comment